Monster Summoning Idea

Leave messages for me while I'm at work/away from my computer!
1 post Page 1 of 1

Monster Summoning Idea

Post by Kalem »

Hey Hal, don't know if you have a mechanic system planned out for Monster Summoning already or not. But just a general idea of mine is essentially you split up monsters into various levels. But first off, there's two possible ways I can see this as. Either A, specific stats for whatever monster.

Or B, custom stats made by the summoner's player.
Spell Lever / Skill level: XP of summon
1/10: 500 xp
2/10: 650 xp
3/15: 800 xp
4/20: 950 xp
5/25: 1100 xp
6/30: 1300 xp
7/35: 1500 xp
8/40: 1750 xp
9/45: 2000 xp
10/50: 2500 xp
(Just a quick example really)

Though this would depend on the purpose of the summon, if it was just a momentary summon so the creature could launch an attack, or if it was actually maintained. As I'm not sure how to make the just appear and attack summon differ from now special abilities, I'll just stick with the idea I have for maintained.

But essentially, whether if it's custom or specific, there a few options that have to be noted.
The Summoner: does he/she fight alongside it? Or does it take her place in init?
Summon's mortality: If the creature dies, is it permanent?
Consequence to Summoner: Such as negatives to stats or skills for xdx rounds after Summon's slain/defeated.

I'm sure there's other facts to be taken into consideration but I can't remember them at the moment. Anyway, if the stats are done by the player I believe some modifiers should be involved.

Character must maintain summon: Summon gains 100 xp
Summon will die once it meets the threshold: 200 xp
Summoner takes negatives upon the death/defeat of their summon: Minor +50 xp, Moderate: +75, Major: +100, Severe: +150.

Though with the limitation that you cannot control a summon with *100 your skill level in XP.

Examples: Joe has level 8 Monster Summoning
He summons Yojimbo whom is a level 1 monster, whom when defeated merely fades back to the realm he came from, and can be resummoned later. However he must maintain the summon, so Yojimbo gains +100 xp, and he suffers a minor consequence of -5 to all actions for 1d5 rounds after Yojimbo is defeated. Thus Yojimbo counts as a 650xp servant.
Xp reason
500 level 1 monster
100 summon must be maintained
50 Defeating summon causes minor consequence.

800 - 650 = 150: Summon controllable

Jack, like Josh has level 8 monster summoning.
He wants to summon his companion animal, which is a level 1 monster. Though, unlike yojimbo, should this summon die, it'll stay dead and he'll have to seek out another. Therefore the summon gets 200xp. Though Jack does not have to maintain his summon. Jack decided he would take a severe consequence of his stats being reduced to 25% on the death on his companion animal, giving another 150 xp.

Xp Reason
500 Level 1 monster
200 Summon Mortal
150 Severe consequnce

850 - 800 = -50: Summon uncontrollable
Kalem

1 post Page 1 of 1