DW: Clarifications, anyone?

Leave messages for me while I'm at work/away from my computer!
1 post Page 1 of 1

DW: Clarifications, anyone?

Post by Strato »

Let it be known, first and foremost, that I believe the GMs and Moderators are doing an awesome job in this RPG, making it fun, interesting, and entertaining to play in. I do enjoy this RPG muchly, and that's part of the reason I'm posting this thread.

Being one with a tendency to delve into most every tiny detail, mundane or significant, and seeing as how many things can be handled well with GM discretion anyhow, there are some things which are minutely described, and at times lost in the overall scheme of things, little details that can compound into significant differences, RP-wise. I am posting in this thread, in hopes of ironing out some of the finer details, often with inquiries to GMs, and hope to share this information with the rest of you.

***THIS LISTING IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SET OF RULES. BE FOREWARNED.***

...ironically this won't be very organized as I start this out, harrumph. But, I'll periodically edit this post and try to include topics in alphabetical order. If this raises any discussions, I'm all for it, so that we can come to a consensus and clearer understanding on how everything works. Thank you, and um...enjoy, I guess.

BLOCKING

I have heard different things from different people. This is what Tony has told me:

Block roll = DEX bonus + Weapon Proficiency + Any other dodge bonuses. + Block Bonus(If you have the Block advanced skill from the Reaction category).

Example: Let's say Character John Doe has a level 22 sword skill, and a DEX bonus of 8, along with no Block skill. We'll give him Normal Clothes as well, and Dodge Mastery. Therefore...

Block = DEX bonus(8) + Weapon Proficiency(22) + Armor Dodge(Normal Clothes = 2) + Dodge Mastery(10)

This comes to a total of 42. Therefore his block roll is 1d90+42.

CRITS & BOTCHES

Whenever you have a divine fail (natural 1 in most cases), it is an auto-fail, regardless of how high you have rolled or what action you are taking. Of course, GM-discretionary measures can be taken in addition, but generally a natural 1 is an automatic failure. When someone has a divine success on a combo or the other divine-fails against a combo attack in dodging, all hits in the combo connect automatically.

Which brings up a question...what happens when, say, a nat-1 attack occurs against a nat-1 dodge? Or when a divine fail occurs on an attack, is no dodge roll necessary? Just a thought. All are welcome to answer.

FEATS

The (Skill) Mastery feat does NOT add 10 levels to its respective skill. It only boosts your rolls in the field by +10.

LIMIT BREAKS

If this has been mentioned before, then this is redundant. Limit points gained in the Room of Forgotten Memories are taken away once the fight is over. Only limit points gained in 'real' fights can 'roll over' to battles beyond. From what Tony has said, this effectively prevents RoFM abuse for the sake of beating oneself up to load up on LP.

MAGIC

This is more because I've been the one to screw this up before. Spells can be learned as such on a WEEKLY BASIS: whatever level magic user you are is the maximum level-sum of spells you can learn in a given week. Let's say you have someone who has level 23 in whatever school of magic they study. This makes them a level 4 mage. So, in one given week, they can learn 4 L1 spells, 2 L1's and an L2, 2 L2's, a L3 and L1 spell, or one L4 spell. The attempts you can make in a week have no limit...but be reasonable, lest you wish to suffer GM-related wrath.

MARTIAL ARTS

The recent upgrade to DW 5.0 has tweaked the damage of Martial Arts-based characters to (Martial Arts level+1/10 Strength points)*30. Most likely in the near future this will change to ((Martial Arts level/2, round up)+1/10 Strength points)*30. This is unofficial; Hal may announce this in the near future.

ROOM OF FORGOTTEN MEMORIES

This area is pretty clean-cut as far as topic go; the only real gray area I've come up with is the no-contest rule when facing a foe that is considerably powerful, yet 'unable to dodge'. There are instances in which the 'more than d50 above the opposing dodge' rule can be negated and one can still receive an XP award. I will try to list those I know of.

-Egg Valkyrie
-Egg Walker
Strato

1 post Page 1 of 1